View the 2019 CakeWalk route!
Lasell College Athletic Center at Taylor Field, Newton. Get directions here.
Download Campus Map & Parking Instructions
Here a few important facts about Birthday Wishes that you can share with your friends and family as you fundraise.
- We believe that every child deserves to be celebrated on their birthday.
- Founded in 2002 as a volunteer organization serving one shelter in Newton, MA, Birthday Wishes has expanded its program and is currently serving children in approximately 200 homeless shelters and transitional living facilities in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Long Island, New York.
- For homeless families, a birthday party is a luxury that neither shelter nor families can afford.
- We remain committed to an all-volunteer run party model, engaging over 500 volunteers per month, half of whom are children and young adults.
- Last year, more than 26,000 homeless children experienced the joy of a Birthday Wishes birthday party.
- CakeWalk, our signature fundraising event, is a fun, non-competitive 5K walk and festival. Spend the morning exercising, celebrating and raising money for Birthday Wishes’ great cause.
- In 2018, more than 300 CakeWalkers raised over $105,000.
- Our goal is to provide birthday parties to all homeless children in New England.
- Birthday Wishes is the only organization of its kind – providing the important childhood tradition of a birthday party to homeless children.
- Email friends and family to ask for their support. Personalize your email and include a link to your CakeWalk fundraising page.
- The subject line of your email is very important to ensure that it is opened and read. We suggest: Please support my upcoming Birthday Wishes CakeWalk
- Use social media! We’ve create a Social Media Toolkit with posts ready for you to share with your followers on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Download it here. When someone makes a donation to your walk, write a thank you note on their Facebook page.
- If your birthday is approaching, ask friends and family to donate towards your CakeWalk goal in honor of your special day.
- Reach out to a local paper or radio. Let the media know you’re participating and why. Local media outlets are very receptive to hearing about the lives of residents in their communities.
Dear Friends and Family, I am proud to be participating in Birthday Wishes signature fundraising event, CakeWalk, on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at Lasell College in Newton. Birthday Wishes is a nonprofit organization that brings birthday parties to homeless children. Last year, more than 25,000 homeless children experienced the joy of a Birthday Wishes party. CakeWalk, a family friendly fun walk and festival, continues to be a critical source of revenue for Birthday Wishes. It has taken on added importance this year given the escalating number of homeless families. As many of you have no doubt heard and seen in the media lately, family homelessness has reached crisis proportions. The numbers are straining the resources of all the service providers who contribute to these families’ health and well-being, Birthday Wishes included. I’ve decided to make a difference. I am committed to raising [$ amount] to support Birthday Wishes. You, too, can make a difference by making a donation to help me reach or exceed my goal. Please make a gift to my donation page today at [paste in the link to your CakeWalk donation page]. Many thanks for your kind support! Sincerely, [name]